Thursday, May 7, 2009

Reality TV-American Idol I

Okay, so I know I already posted one this week, but I can't hold my tongue any longer. This is about reality TV in general not just American Idol, so keep that in mind as you sit at your desk sipping from your DWTS (that's Dancing With the Stars) or Americas Next Top Model coffee mug thinking what losers the fans of Idol are.
I don't get it.

I mean, I watch it. Everybody does. When people claim they don't watch reality TV, then you have to believe they'd claim they don't sing at the top of their lungs when the Carpenters come on the radio while they're alone in their cars. EVERYBODY watches some kind of reality TV. For the purposes of this rant, however, I'll isolate my comments to the shows that involve voting. Most of them involve some form of public voting, but there are still shows where the results are decided by three or more judges. Actually, most use some form of combining the two throughout the season.

So, back to the subject. I can't believe how many people vote. American Idol had something like 69 million votes last night. 69 million is a lot of people, especially when nobody watches. What I'd like to do is give this a little perspective. This is a singing competition where America votes for the person they like. Did I get that right, the person they like? I've seen phrases batted about such as, "...I'm shocked and saddened by the results" and "...I can't believe how wrong this is", oh how about my favorite, "...a travesty". Are you kidding me!
Those who know me know that I'm not a tree hugging environmentalist, I don't like animals anywhere but on my plate, and I don't give a crap about politics, but really? Who got voted off (by the way that could be a whole other post, this isn't Survivor people, you don't vote someone "off" American Idol) isn't and never will be a "travesty", should never "shock or sadden us", and it certainly isn't "wrong". It's a TV show. Incest, rape, child abuse, kidnapping, those are things you could describe using those words, not who doesn't get to sing on TV next week.
Am I wrong? I mean there are some times when I get upset. When I saw the results show from Hells Kitchen last year, I was actually nervous for the contestants. I was ticked when the wrong guy won. I was more angry at the results of the Next Food Network Star than I was about the elections. EVER. Not this years elections, but any elections ever.
So here we are, sitting at a precipice. What can I say? Only this.........

I really think Kris Allen should win AI because he has talent and he's relevant. Adam will make a great lead singer for an 80's cover band, Gokey will do fine because he's the next incarnation of Michael Bolton. Allison, I'm not going to say America got it wrong, but..........

5 comments:

  1. Of course not. I don't vote either, that way I can always say if only....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice if ALL the people in Gilbert who vote for their favorite AI star actually voted in our next election on May 19th. It might double our turnout. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote we make you the next commentator. I've about had it with Seacrest's "Thissssssss....is American Idol"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud to say that I've never seen American Idol and never plan to. Doesn't interest me in the least. Survivor on the other hand....

    ReplyDelete